If you are moving from one state to another, you bring everything you own to the new place. There are a lot of things to be packed when moving. Among those things comes your furniture. But it’s not easy to move your furniture, especially moving furniture from state to state. Furniture is heavy, large, and sometimes in delicate condition. You need multiple helping hands, someone who knows to disassemble and assemble furniture in order to be able to move furniture interstate. You should know/consider certain things before moving furniture from state to state.
- Decide whether to move your furniture at all
- Before moving your furniture, decide whether you want to bring the furniture with you or not. Check if the furniture is in good condition or matches the vibe with your new home or whether it is worth it to bring it with you to your new place. You can organize a yard sale for furniture that you don’t want or can simply gift or donate the furniture to friends or to someone in need.
- Measure your new home
- If possible, measure your new home before moving the furniture. Make sure your couch fits in the living room of your new home. Make sure the bed is fit enough for your bedroom in the new house. If the furniture doesn’t fit in your new home, there’s absolutely no point in paying a moving charge for something that is not going to be of use to you.
- Pick the cheapest furniture moving option for yourself
- Once you decide what furniture to take with you, you have to choose a moving option. Whether you want to move it on your own, rent a truck, or hire a professional moving company to move your furniture. Since furniture is large and heavy, it’s recommended to hire a professional moving company to do the job for you. Some companies also do same-day moving.
- Disassemble partially the really big furniture
- Furniture is very large in size. A king or a queen-size bed is huge and difficult to carry and it doesn’t even in the door. So, in order to avoid that, you should disassemble your furniture first. Maybe unscrew table legs, beds, etc. This allows to carry them easily and also makes the packing easy. Once disassembled, it’s easier to load and unload them. You can easily assemble the furniture when you go to the new house.
- Protect your furniture while moving
- You have to make sure your furniture is safe and protected during moving. Use foams, blankets, towels, etc to wrap the furniture parts so as to avoid scratches on the furniture as well as the wall. Cover the glass part of your furniture properly. Use extra precaution for antique furniture, if you have any. Make sure there aren’t any open nails, if found one, hammer them.
- Move your furniture out of the house safely
- After wrapping your furniture with blankets and towels, you have to be careful while bringing them out of the house. Make sure not to hit your furniture in the door or corners of the walls. Go easy and slow on stairs as stairs can be tricky. In case you feel tired or feel heavy, put down the furniture. Take a breath and continue. Always good to get extra hands.
- Load your furniture into the moving truck
- Begin with the heaviest and biggest furniture pieces. First, load items onto the vehicle, positioning them closest to the front. After that, add smaller things and boxes. This will create a weight distribution and balance the vehicle. Also, there will be no risk of heavy things falling from the top.
Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment/suggestion below.
Also, please check out this article on PODS Moving services