The Indian passport is issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India through a network of 37 passport offices across the country and 180 Indian Embassies and Consulates located abroad. The document serves as an essential travel document for individuals who travel abroad for education, tourism, pilgrimage, medical attendance, business purposes, and family visits.
Authenticates passport holders as citizens of India on the basis of birth or naturalization as per the Passport Act, 1967. In India, the Consular, Passport, and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, provides passport services through Central Passport. Organization (CPO). ) ) and a network of Passport Offices and Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs)
Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) can avail of passport and other miscellaneous services at 185 Indian Missions or by post. It is to be mentioned that passports issued to individuals are machine-readable as per the guidelines laid down by the Civil Aviation Organization of India (ICAO).
The Indian passport is an essential travel document for Indian citizens who travel abroad for education, tourism, medical attendance, business, etc. According to the Passport Act, 1967, a passport holder is a citizen of India by virtue of his birth or naturalization. The Consular, Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, provides passport services through the Central Passport Organization (CPO) and its network of Passport Offices and Passport Seva Kendras (PSKs).
Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) can avail of passport and consular services through Indian Consulates or Embassies abroad.
Also read: Apply for an Indian passport online
Types of Passports Issued in India
There are two main types of passports that are issued by the Ministry of External Affairs:
Ordinary Passports: Ordinary passports are issued to ordinary persons. These passports are for general purposes to enable holders to travel abroad on business or holidays.
Official/Diplomatic Passports: Official or diplomatic passports are issued to people traveling abroad on official duties.
How to apply for an Indian passport
An individual can apply for a passport online through the Passport Seva website or the Passport Seva App. The detailed procedure to apply for a passport is given below:
- Register on the Passport Seva in India. If you are already registered, then you need to log in to the portal using the registered login ID and password.
- Click on the link ‘Apply for New Passport / Re-issue of Passport’.
- Complete the form and fill in the requested information. Once done submit the form.
- To schedule an appointment, click on the under based on the Pay & Schedule Appointment’ link under the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ tab.
- Once the payment is done, click on the link ‘Print Application Receipt’ and print the Application Receipt containing the Application Reference Number
- In the next step, the applicant is visiting the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO) on the date of appointment along with the original documents.
To apply offline for an Indian passport, applicants must download the application form and obtain a printout of the same before submitting it to the passport collection center. Another option is to purchase the application form, fill it and submit it to the center along with the required documents.
Documents Required for Indian Passport
- For Address Proof
- Current Bank Account Passbook with applicant’s photograph
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill
- rent contract
- electricity bill
- Voter ID card issued by the Election Commission of India
- income tax assessment order
- gas connection proof
- Aadhar card
- Copy of first and last page of parent’s passport in case of minors
- Certificates from employers of reputed companies on their letterhead
- Copy of the first and last page of the passport of the spouse mentioning the name of the applicant as the spouse of the passport holder.
- water bill
- For Proof of Date of Birth:
- Aadhar Card / E-Aadhaar
- pan card
- Voter ID card issued by the Election Commission of India
- driving license
- A declaration by the head of the orphanage or child care home on his official letterhead confirming the applicant’s date of birth.
- Birth certificate.
- Transfer Certificate/School.
- Copy of the extract of the service record of the applicant (for Government servants only) or pension order (retired government servants) duly attested or attested by the officer of the concerned department of the applicant.
A copy of the policy bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporation/companies bearing the date of birth of the insurance policyholder.
As shown by §5 of the Passgesetz (German Passport Law) a visa is generous for seemingly forever, for individuals more youthful than 25 six years.
Apply for a passport in India
Stage 1 Visit to Passport in India site
Stage 2: Click on the new identification.
Stage 3: Enter every one of the subtleties effectively.
Stage 4: Make the installment
Stage 5: Our leaders will continue your application and call for arrangement
Stage 6: After all cycles are finished, you will accept your Passport in your location
Since 25 November 2015, Indian visas that are truly formed or with an original date of expiry slackening as long as 20 years have not been liberal under ICAO travel regulations. With later Indian unmistakable bits of verification the individual central marks of the visa holder, which were as of quite recently engraved on the internal cover page, are engraved on the second page of the record. One more additional security associated with the serious state-of-the-art non-unraveled visas is a spirit image of the holder found on the right half of the resulting page. Next to obstructing lawbreakers from printing counterfeit visas, advancing changes in like way assist with forestalling spreading of the record as a result of inkjet printers.
Abound together accumulating of the data arranged on the visa doesn’t occur. The selection experts simply store comparative data in the visa enrolls as was taken care of before the introduction of the electronic ID. The fingerprints are simply taken care of on the RF chip and momentarily during the card-creating measure. At the point when the distinguishing proof is accumulated by its holder at the enlistment office, the fingerprints needed for enrollment and gathering are deleted. This is shown in §16 of the Passgesetz (German Passport Law).