If you see QuickBooks error code 12031 while updating the QuickBooks program and payroll, it indicates the Windows firewall is interfering with the update. Sometimes, incorrect browser and security settings can also lead to issues while updating. QuickBooks uses Internet Explorer to access the internet, so its misconfigured settings can also lead to error 12031 in QuickBooks. Stick to the advisory blog to get more insights on QuickBooks update error 12031, such as causes and troubleshooting solutions.
If you are not willing to go through the blog to get rid of QuickBooks error code 12031, connect with the certified QuickBooks expert’s team for assistance by calling us on our toll-free number 1-855-948-3646
Reasons that trigger error 12031 updating QuickBooks
Here is the list of prominent causes that leads to the error:
- A network timeout has restricted QuickBooks from accessing the server.
- Windows Firewall and software settings are blocking QuickBooks update.
- The Internet Explorer is not set as the default browser or its settings are misconfigured.
- The QuickBooks version you are using is outdated.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Data missing after an update
Top 3 Solutions to Deal with QuickBooks Update error 12031
Solution 1. Choose Internet Explorer as your default browser
- Quit QuickBooks Desktop, open Internet Explorer and click the Tools menu on the upper right corner.
- Next, choose Internet Options and go to the Programs tab.
- Click the Make Default button under the Default Web Browser section and select OK.
Solution 2. Change Internet Explorer settings to get rid of error 12031
- Exit company files, quit QuickBooks, and open Internet Explorer.
- Click the Tools menu, then Internet Options, and go to the Security tab.
- Click the Globe icon and make sure the security level is set no higher than Medium-high.
- Click the Connections tab and choose Never Dial a Connection if you do not use the dial-up node (DUN). If you make use of the same, pick the correct ISP and click OK.
- Click LAN settings, select the automatically detect settings option and click on the Use a Proxy Server checkbox. If it is selected, you need to document the complete address and port.
- Do not clear the Use a Proxy Server checkbox if the port is other than 80. If the port is port 80, try clearing the Proxy Server checkbox for testing.
- Click OK, go to the Advanced tab and choose Restore Advanced Settings.
- Go to Settings, check if TLS1.2 is selected, and click OK.
- Exit Internet Explorer and restart your workstation.
Solution 3. Download and Install the QuickBooks release update manually
- Quit QuickBooks, choose the Start menu and right-click the QuickBooks icon.
- Click the Run as administrator option, go to the No Company Open screen and select the Help tab.
- Under the Help menu, choose Update QuickBooks Desktop and click the Options tab.
- Choose Mark All, then Save and go to the Update Now tab.
- Click on the Reset Update checkbox and then select Get Updates to start the download process.
- Once the update completes, restart QuickBooks and finish the installation.
The troubleshooting procedure discussed above will surely help you eliminate QuickBooks error code 12031. In case the error continues, get advanced assistance from certified QuickBooks professionals by dialing 1-855-948-3646.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error Code 9000