Articleshero | In this article, you will learn how to import MBOX file to Thunderbird for free as well as quickly. There are two different ways to achieve this. First is the free method that requires you to install an add-on. While the second method makes use of a professional solution recommended by experts.
Mozilla Thunderbird is one of the most popular desktop-based email applications. Therefore, it is a cross-platform client that offers wide ways of emailing options to the users. Several users look for the solution to import MBOX files into Thunderbird because MBOX is a free extension used by various desktop-based email clients like Entourage, Opera Mail, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc to store emails.
Sometimes, users have an MBOX file and they need to import it to some application to access it. Thus, a user can upload their file into Thunderbird and access all email stored in it. Now, the question arises of how it can be done efficiently.
So, let us move towards the user query first and then, move to the solution step by step.
Let us understand the situation of users who are wishing to use Mozilla Thunderbird to open MBOX file mail on Windows OS.
“Hi, I have been using Thunderbird for a long time but recently my system got corrupted so I had to uninstall my old Thunderbird. And, my old MBOX file is still existing, I want to import it into my new profile. I am unable to do it so I am seeking a reliable method. If anyone knows, please suggest the same for me.”
“Hello, I used to use Apple Mail in my previous office but now I have changed my job. And, I have an MBOX of my Apple Mail which I want to transfer to my new email client. I am using Thunderbird in my new Office so I urgently want to move my files to Mozilla Thunderbird. Please, someone, suggest a guide for me for the same.”
Now, let us first move towards the manual method which helps you to import MBOX file to Thunderbird. But, the manual method has a few limitations to it which is why experts recommend using a high-end professional tool explained afterward. Therefore, it will make sure that data is required safely & no signs of data loss are seen.
How to Open MBOX File into Mozilla Thunderbird Manually?
Users need to perform two phases for importing an MBOX file into Thunderbird using a manual method. So, follow the below step-by-step process for the same:-
Phase 1 – Install the Free Add-on in Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird provides a way to add additional capabilities with the help of extensions/add-ons. One such add-on is ImportExportTools NG which is completely free. It helps in importing MBOX files into Thunderbird.
Follow the steps mentioned below to install the free add-on:
- Download Thunderbird by navigating to Programs and then Mozilla Thunderbird.
- Now, Click on the Display the Thunderbird Menu icon (3-lines) in Thunderbird
- Click on the Add-ons and Themes option from the dropdown list
- Type “Importexporttools” in the search bar, then press the Enter key
- In the new window that appears, click on the Add to Thunderbird button corresponding to the ImportExportTools NG button
- After that, click the Add button to provide permissions to the add-on
- Finally, restart Mozilla Thunderbird once the add-on is installed successfully.
Now, move on to the next phase to complete the manual process to import MBOX file to Thunderbird:
Phase 2 – Import MBOX to Thunderbird
Follow the steps mentioned below:
- In Thunderbird, right-click on the mailbox in which you want to import the MBOX file.
- Afterward, a list of options will appear, select ImportExportTools NG >> Import MBOX file option to start the procedure
- In the Files MBOX import window that appears, select import directly one or more MBOX files, then click the OK button
- Then, locate the MBOX file from the location where it is stored on the hard drive
- Click on the Open button to import the MBOX file to the Thunderbird application
- This imports the emails successfully in Thunderbird.
Limitations of the Manual Method
- The manual methods are lengthy and time-consuming to perform.
- It often leads to lost attachments and broken email properties.
- As users cannot move an MBOX file into batches.
- Thunderbird does not have an in-built tool to import MBOX. One needs to install the add-on first.
Note: These are steps to perform the manual method. Hope that it is not possible to import multiple MBOX files into Thunderbird. Because it consumes a lot of users’ time & effort. So, we suggest you use our automated software for importing multiple MBOX files into Thunderbird without facing any hassle.
Let’s begin with the same!
Expert Recommended Method to Import MBOX File to Thunderbird
To overcome the limitations of the manual method, a user is advised to switch to trusted automated software. Use the Convert MBOX to PST Free Software it is widely used for the same. This tool is an effective and professional solution to import MBOX files in bulk.
Moreover, it allows users to move MBOX files along with their associated email attachments in Thunderbird. One can also export selected emails from the MBOX file using date-range filters.
One can also transfer selective emails from the MBOX file using date-range filters. In addition, it is compatible with all the latest Windows OS versions like Windows 11 (64 bit), Windows 10, 8.1, 8, and 7 (32 & 64 bit).
Complete Guide Steps of the Software
Follow the below-working process to batch import MBOX file to Thunderbird without facing any trouble. Users can easily follow these steps for a simple conversion process. Let’s start it:-
1. Download and run the software and click the Add File button to proceed to the next window.
2. In the window that appears, select the MBOX Files option and click the Next button.
3. Browse and add the MBOX files from the local computer.
4. Preview MBOX emails and attachments
5. Now you have 2 options:
Either click the Export button from the ribbon bar to export all the data.
Or, select the checkboxes and right-click to choose the Export option for exporting selective MBOX emails.
6. Finally, select the PST radio button and click Export to start converting MBOX files to PST format.
This is how we have completed our task using automated software which is easy & simple for both technical & non-technical users. Hope you get your answer after using it. So, we just suggest you go with the above automated solution for importing multiple MBOX files into Thunderbird in just a single click.
In this article, we have discussed how to import MBOX file to Thunderbird. Using manual methods as well as automated professional solutions to complete the process easily. Therefore, both solutions are available. However, due to its limitations and insecure results Manual method is discarded by professionals. So, the autonomous application is explained with methods that are easy to follow and self-explanatory. Now, you can choose as per your requirements which one is better for you. Read the above write-up for more information.